Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Multiplatform HD


Currently editing a promotional piece for Saudi Aramco. The interesting aspect of this project is that it was originally posted in HD on a Avid Adrenaline (for which I did effects for) and then that Avid MXF media was ported over to Final Cut Pro on Mac with a plug-in called MXF4Mac. Now I transferred those 2 terabytes of footage from a Mac formatted drive to a Windows NTFS drive - even though I'm editing in Final Cut, I need the media available to both of my Windows and Mac environments and the only way to do it is by having the files on NTFS formatted drives. So with all these factors stacked up there would seem to be ample chance for things to go wrong but surprisingly things are going well. Reading and writing to NTSF in the Mac environment is smooth and speedy using Paragon's NTFS for Mac. Reading the Avid MXF files in Final Cut using MXF4Mac is seemless - HD 1080p at 25fps plays back full screen without a hitch. The odd thing is that I'm an Avid guy and would prefer to port everything back to Avid but the Final Cut edit has gone too far to go back so I'm stuck editing in Final Cut. That being said I am impressed by how Final Cut is performing so far - I imagined it crashing and incapable of full screen playback. So far so good!