Friday, October 24, 2014

ALIENS from 35mm to VHS to DVD to Bluray

I screened the ALIENS special edition extended cut Bluray for my film students which runs 2.5 hours but took 3 hours because I kept pausing it to comment on the film. I must say that I like the shorter theatrical cut better because it is concise and emphasizes the action elements while keeping the emotional ties & themes at a minimum without loosing much if you're really paying attention. Some of the suspense is drawn out in the special edition, which I still enjoyed, but it never added anything significant. 

Can you believe that I actually saw ALIENS with my dad projected in 35mm during its theatrical run - imagine the impact a film like that would have on a 10 year old! I've now seen the film on 35mm film, VHS, DVD, and now Bluray. Looking forward to 4K.

#sse #gnetx


Aliens (1986)
Directed by James Cameron. With Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Carrie Henn, Paul Reiser. The planet from Alien (1979) has been colonized, but contact is lost. This time, the rescue team has impressive firepower, but will it be enough?