Monday, July 31, 2017

Saw DUNKIRK last week in 70mm on an IMAX screen. Amazing cinematic experience, and I emphasize "70mm" and "experience" because if you bring your newsfeed politics and your youtube education on character development and your binge watching expectations of plot convolutions you will in fact miss out on the experience. This film is like looking through a gorgeous photo book of a long lost era where your heroes were the guy standing next to you and you didn't need to know his backstory or have an emotional connection with him or her to understand what fear, courage, or even cowardice was in the face of War. Yes I brought a lot to the table when watching this movie, but maybe it's time audiences brought more to the table. So when I was a kid, I loved my comic books and never dreamed they would dominate the movies in such a big way. But I adored my grandfather's old wartime photos even more and would spend hours looking through them to rediscovered narratives of him as a spy in Manchuria - of course my grandfather NEVER talked about the war and most of the stories were echoed through my father as legend and my own imagination. So when I look at those old wartime photos I see a stranger - a stranger that survived to be the hero in the grandfather I know today. And THAT was what the DUNKIRK experience was like for me both visually and conceptually. #sseig


via Instagram http://ift.tt/2uO7I7a #instagram