Sunday, September 16, 2018

A ★★★½ review of The Predator (2018)


I lowered my rating to 3 1/2 stars (and could go lower as I think more about it). I was watching Chris Stuckman's review of THE PREDATOR (*spoiler* he hated it) and he put his finger on why I felt so weirded/off-put by this movie: there's practically no suspense. The 1st was all about suspense, granted this was our introduction to the alien hunter. But in this latest film, even with the introduction of the Predator hounds & the Super Predator, they all just show up and cause havok. There's no build, there's just a lot of high ideas but little craft in binding it all into a cohesive, meaningful narrative. So while I appreciate this film offering me 2nd thoughts, it's very disjointed & juvenile in comparison to the 1st 2 films (& maybe the 3rd but I'llhave to rewatch it, & I'm not including any AVP films). #facebook